Wednesday, October 8, 2008

The State Fair of Texas




The State Fair of Texas opened September 26th.  I got the privilege to take off an afternoon from work and go to opening day with some of my co-workers. I haven’t been to the fair since OU-TX of ’06. Once we got parked and everything we headed straight for the coupon stands, those little boogers are expensive. So our next initiative was to fine dine on some State Fair corny dogs. They were AMAZING… let me tell you! However the new item which was NOT so appealing was Chicken Fried Bacon. Gosh, just the sound of that makes me feel fat.

After we did our part in chowing down we decided to go to a Bird Show, supposedly they are at the fair every year, who knew. Anyways it was an interesting show that’s for sure. All of the birds kept flying away and although the presenter kept reassuring us that “today was a practice run” they had a lot more “practicing to do” that’s for sure. I’m just thankful the show was free.

This was actually the only bird that ran its course right and ended back up by the presenter.  He got an A++ in my book. The rest were in trees and on the roofs of buildings. It was hilarious, plus the experience to have a huge bird fly over your head with the chance of person sitting right next to you getting pooed on was quite entertaining.

So after the “practice run” of a Bird Show we ended up going to see what this year’s butter sculpture looked like. I never remembered a butter sculpture from back in the days when I would go to the Fair, but I stand corrected. I guess  in honor of the King Tut exhibit being in Dallas they ended up with this: 


Pretty freaky huh. It was enclosed in a refrigerated room and the whole place just spelt like butter.

All that to say… I had a fun day away from the office at the State Fair with my friend Big Tex. It was different seeing the fair on a normal day instead of OU-TX weekend. (Which happens to be this Saturday… BOOMER SOONER!)

No comments: