Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Quite the trip...



I wanted to share my adventurous ride into the Office yesterday morning. So I left the house later than I should have, especially with the Dallas drivers and the icy conditions. Anyways I make my way down 35 and I get to about Valwood and all of these cars are stopped, but they don't have any cars in front of them.  So we keep inching along and then I see a cat in the road, and it's freaking out because it doesn't want to get hit obviously and it doesn't know which way to go. So I pull up until I can't see it anymore. At this point I am looking to the two other cars beside me to tell me if I am clear to drive on or not. So after reading the lips of the guy whose next to me I slowly inch forward. Luckily I didn't feel a bump or anything, however I couldn't see him in my rear view mirror either. So I am already an hour late to work and I hadn't even made it to 635 yet. So I keep driving cautiously due to the weather and make it all the way to work. By this time I have completely forgotten about the whole cat incident. 

Well I step out of my car and I hear a cat shrieking, and again I think nothing of it. We usually have cats down by our office. Well Rita my co-worker pulled in to the parking lot after me and as I was about to enter the office she yelled. "Emily, come back out here your car is shrieking." So I'm thinking to myself well, great I did run over the cat. So my car is still shrieking and so I got down on the icy gross ground trying to see if I could see the cat. So I start calling for the cat like I would my pups hoping that cats come when they are called. I have no clue since I'm not a cat person. Well anyways the cat finally hopped out from underneath my car. I guess he jumped up under my car and held on for dear life. I was utterly blown away that it made it under my car for about another 30 minutes after he had jumped up in it. Thankfully due to the weather I wasn't driving fast, but STILL... So I picked him up and took him in the office and of course everyone swarmed the cat. According to some of the cat people in our office he was maybe 5-6 months old. We gave him some cream, water, and his favorite tuna. He pretty much devoured anything we put in front of him. 

After he got something to eat we brought him back to our pod and blocked off the entrance so he could just roam around our pod and not bother anyone else. I sent out an email with some pics to see if anyone wanted him or knew of anyone who would want him. He hung out in our pod all day hopping from lap to lap. He slept on my desk for a little after he commandeered my mouse pad. It made the day go by quickly and even though I'm not a cat person I have to admit he was a cutie. Well luckily one of our principals ended up taking him home, and took him to the vet this morning, and the updates are good so far. When we got a good look at him it looked like someone had burned his ear (he only had half of one ear), or that he had been in a couple of fights, but overall he looked good, just dirty probably from the ride in to work.  He didn't hurt himself on the ride down which I was thankful for. So I'm glad he found a good home with a family that will love him. He was the sweetest cat, quite the cuddler. (spelling) By the grace of God the cat lives to see another day.

Now today in the office we got the update from the vet, and all seems to be okay. Everyone was pitching in with ideas for names: Some of the names were:  Fender, Rider, Asphalt, Detour, Explorer, Ford, Hybrid, Diesel, Engine, Lucky, Hitch, Drifter, Axle, Piston, LBJ, Stan Jr. (her husbands name is Stan), Van Gogh (due to the whole ear thing, quite clever) and last but not least Kermit after my car. After all they did have a lot of time to bond on my way in. I'm just so thankful he is okay and that he is making a family really happy. Thankfully I didn't pick up any drifters on my way to work today. Merry Christmas!!

No comments: