Sunday, August 30, 2009

Ace of Cakes

I always helped my mom and dad cook in the kitchen when I was little. I would pull myself up onto the counter and be my parent's little sous chef, especially when it came to baking chocolate chip cookies. I was a pro at licking the bowl that's for sure; but I had no idea that one day cooking would become one of my favorite hobbies.

Okay, for starters I must admit that I am a little obsessed with the Food Network and have been for the past 8 years or so... one of the ladies at Schumacher my summer internship was always on the website and watching demos, etc. So throughout college I always watched the shows and tried to cook different things when I could. Being in the sorority house didn't really allow that to happen a lot, but when I got my apartment I sure tested out the kitchen.

Chris and I enjoy fun and tasteful food. I find so much enjoyment in serving others great tasting food and the conversations that arise over dinner, lunch, or even brunch. I can't wait to share our new kitchen with our little ones someday and open their eyes to all of the fun food out there. It's always fun to read about other people's experiences with food. When I read blogs there are always a lot dealing with baking cakes or cupcakes; which brings me to the point of this blog.

So the other week Chris and I headed to DFW to pick his parent's up from a 2 week stint in China. We hadn't heard from them since the 2 weeks before when we said our goodbyes dropping them off. This was their second trip over to be a part of a Youth Camp that ministers to the native kids over there. So we run in expecting them to be there, and their baggage claim and gate changed, so we ran over to the other baggage claim area. So we were just standing there waiting and waiting for their bags to pass by and Chris noticed a familiar face, and lo and behold it was Duff Goldman the chef/owner at Charm City Cakes in Baltimore. They do amazing, life like, gorgeous cakes for anyone and everyone. Sadly they cost a pretty penny, but that's besides the point... Chris and I always enjoy watching this show on the Food Network, the personalities of all of the staff are hilarious. Anyways, when I was in Baltimore last year I made my co-worker Leigh Anne drive around Baltimore trying to find their bakery so I could take a picture in front of it. Well let's just say a few too many one way roads and we got lost in a not so good part of town and never found it. Well it was him alright just super content and quiet. You could tell he didn't want to attract a lot of attention. Chris and I were wondering what he had going on in Dallas and we wondered if it was something for the show. We didn't want to run up to him claiming we were his biggest fans, but it was a lot of fun to see another foodie in person. Guess we will just have to see on this upcoming season of Ace of Cakes.

No comments: