
Random question of the day... How many pillows does YOUR car hold?? Sadly this picture doesn't do it justice...
I was priveleged to find this information out about our car yesterday... any guessess? Chris guessed 50, and that's not even close............ Drum roll, wait for it.....I fit 135 pillows into my car, yes there was a little cramming, but it all fit. Now, I didn't just do this out of curosity so don't think I'm weird, our company does community service each month and this month we were collecting pillows for the new Ronald McDonald house in Dallas.
So we stuffed all of the pillows into my car and headed out to the current Ronald McDonald house located a few minutes from our office. We started to unload and the lovely ladies at the front desk were SHOCKED and thrilled at how many pillows were being brought in. You see, they are in the process of building a new Ronald McDonald house that will house more than double than their current capacity. I think the lady said it will house 60 families. After we dropped our pillows off at the front we managed to get the nickel tour.
It was a great opportunity to learn a little bit more about the Ronald McDonald house and what it has to offer to families in need. They currently have space for 30 families, they have multiple large family rooms, a library, a kitchen, and a laundry room. This is basically a home away from home for families battling cancer and other medical conditions. They are running purely on volunteers and donations. An interesting fact that I learned, yes, Ronald McDonald founded it in the early 80's I believe, but now they only receive approximately 5% of donations from them. Their big fundraiser is the trains at North Park Mall at Christmas time; which is always a fun activity to stop by and at least watch while you're finishing up your shopping. Some more info about the house is that food is provided by volunteers 3 times a day 7 days a week all year long. We were going to sign up, but they are booked through next year on meal volunteers. We had a great time touring the facility and I am really excited to see the new facility in December 09. Check out the picture... it's going to be a great home away from home.

No comments:
Post a Comment